The Falling Man

11:06 AM Posted by Aroah


The plane had crashed into the building a few minutes ago, the World Trade Center was falling victim to fire and shock.

There was smoke all around, people were screaming and I could hear distant noises of tumbling objects or maybe even people. I was blinded by the thick smoke, I couldn't see anything but a very vague picture of the room. I struggled to breathe, I knew I had to get out, but I didn't know how. I felt people brush past me, some held unto to me in panic. The voices were piercing into my head; I shook my head and looked at the distant windows and was shocked at the sight.

There were people hanging out of the window gasping for air.They were screaming, their bodies half in and half out. I shuddered as I thought of the height, we were on the ninety first floor. I rushed towards a window, I felt my legs stamp on legs and heads, and I almost gagged. Everybody was trying to reach the windows, and it had become a stampede.

And then it began.

People started falling as other people rushed towards the window. Those that tried to hold on with their weakening fingers lost grip and started falling; their screams ran through my blood and froze it. I fell on my knees and covered my head in horror. People stamped on me and pushed me away, again people kept screaming, some screams falling farther away from me.

The smoke was getting thicker, and I knew the fire was going to reach us soon, we were going to be reduced to ashes. The passage way was blocked, the stairs were blocked, these windows were the only source of air but not escape. All the windows almost had an identical scenario. As I scanned the room, I saw the familiar big cupboard, and suddenly remembered the window behind it. I shoved past people and made towards the cupboard, trying hard to catch some air. I could feel my head lighten and my legs weakening. I reached the cupboard and pushed it aside. There was the window, I opened it and was greeted with a cold breeze that almost made me cry with relief. Just then a big flame flew across the room, the fire was catching up.

A woman rushed towards the window.

"We are going to be burned!" She screamed, pulling at my collar.

"Relax" I tried mumbling.

"Relax? Relax?" She screamed back.

"We can get out." I told her.

"No we can't. NO NO NO"

She looked around like a caged animal, and then she looked down from the window. I felt her grip on me lighten as she slowly raised herself and sat on the window. I didn't understand what she was trying to do, I was too numb.

I could see fear written all over her face.She looked me in the eye, and I saw her let herself go.

I screamed in horror, I leaned forward, and looked down to see her tumbling body. She let go, I couldn't believe it. I cried out in desperation. My phone rang just then, I had forgotten about it all along.

It was my daughter.

"Pa, you alright?"

"Yes, yes I am. Give the phone to Mom"

"John, Where are you? What's happening?"

"I'm stuck Lucy, I'm stuck. I can't get out of here, the fire is going to get to me Lucy. Lucy.."

"John what are you saying!John get out of there, John please"

"I have to go Lucy, Lucy... Oh god.."

I threw the phone away, I couldn't bear to hear her voice.

I thought of the woman that had jumped, and looked down at the distant road.

Should I jump?

'Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.'

The verse from Bible slowly played out in my head; I cannot commit suicide, I cannot kill myself, I will be damned.

I looked at the flames, and fear struck through me. Why do the only two choices that I have, lead to death?'

I would be damned to hell if I jump. I cannot be burned alive. It hit me then, I was going to die. Yes, I was going to die. This was the end. The flames grew stronger, I knew I had only minutes. I looked outside at the distant sky.

My head burst at the injustice of this, what had I done wrong?

I sobbed, uncontrollably. I wept for my daughter and wife, for my mother and friends. I let my hands feel around for the phone, I couldn't find it, I punched the wall in frustration. More people started coming towards the window, they were hanging out of it. But then they had to let go, from faraway the almost helpless look in their eyes ran through me like venom.

I wanted to get away from here, I cannot suffocate anymore, I had to get out. I had to jump. This was not suicide, I would not be damned, doesn't a man have the right to choose his way of death when he has no other means? What if I was saved? What if I was alive even after I fell ninety floors? Shouldn't I give myself a chance? I knew that was not a possibility, but I wanted to hope. I wanted to try, I wanted to escape from the fire. I would rather be burned in hell, than be burned here.

I climbed on top of the window and looked down, my legs shivered at the sight. I could see tiny specks of people and vehicles there. I closed my eyes, and prayed.

I hoped that no one would ever have to make the decision that I was about to make.

I tried hard not to think of Sara and Lucy, but their faces flashed across me, I felt a hand on mine. I looked right and saw a woman in her thirties staring right at me.

"This is the right choice, we choose our death, not those terrorists, we die with our heads held high, not by their flames."

Her words didn't reach me, and I felt her fingers pull me, I pulled back, and she let go. She fell, she was silent, not a sound came from her.

I knew I had to make the choice now, the fire had engulfed most of the room. I felt my legs shiver with anxiety, and then in a moment of total clarity, I let go.



---



In memory of all those who had to make that difficult decision on 9/11. For all those who tried and failed.

Picture Courtesy and Inspired by - Richard Drew's "Falling Man"

Thank You - Tom Junod, Poorvaja and Shradha for their valuable inputs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment